Have you missed me? This week I traveled to the sunny land of California for work (don’t get too jealous – it did rain). I’m not going to lie to you; I fell off the wagon a little… I eat so well when I’m at home because I only bring healthy, unprocessed food into the house and that’s how I like it. BUT out on the road, it is a little harder. You’re at the mercy of restaurants and airports and they definitely do not have your health in mind. You’re tired and out of your element. You have to socialize with your colleagues. Trust me, I totally get it. The best tip I can give you is get some super healthy granola bars. They save me time and time again. I eat them for breakfast if I have to be at work early instead of some over processed egg McMuffin. I eat them while I’m working long hours. And I eat them on the drive back to the hotel when I’m starving and ACTUALLY contemplating that BK Drive Thru (I get pretty crazy when I’m hungry). These are my recent favs because they’re all raw and make me feel so good and energized. Just make sure you pick something without sugar added or any weird chemicals:
But out of all the bad things I ate over the week (pizza, tacos, chinese food…cringe…), the thing that made me feel the worst was dairy! Now this is probably something most of you are used to, and that’s because less than 40% of the world’s population retain the enzymes to digest lactose after childhood. I feel much better when I don’t have much dairy in my diet, and that is no coincidence. In order to convince you I’ve gathered 10 reasons why you should stop drinking milk:
1. Excessive dairy consumption can cause Crohn’s disease, allergies, eczema, asthma, acne, and other inflammation related illnesses.
2. Non-organic milk is full of bio-engineered hormones, antibiotics and pesticides, painkillers and growth hormones. Did you know 55% of U.S. antibiotics is fed to livestock?
3. Milk cows are raised in inhumane conditions, kept in small cages, rampant with disease. They are constantly impregnated and then the calves are taken away so that humans can drink the milk meant for the babies. When they can no longer produce milk, the cows are sent to the slaughterhouse.
4. U.S. dairy products account for 60 to 80 % of estrogens we consume.
5. Animal products, like milk, make the blood acidic. Then the blood takes calcium from the bones to increase alkalinity, setting you up for osteoporosis. There are MUCH more effective sources of calcium, like spinach and other greens!
6. High level of the sugars produced when lactose is digested has been linked to ovary damage and ovarian cancer.
7. Higher intakes of calcium and dairy products may increase men’s risk of prostate cancer by 30 to 50%.
8. Countries with the lowest consumption of milk and dairy have the lowest rates of osteoporosis.
9. Any healthy parts of your milk, including vitamins, proteins and enzymes used to digest the milk are killed off during pasteurization.
10. Cows often have an infection of the udder called mastitis due to the milking process, making their milk filled with white blood cells, aka pus.
I DARE you to try some almond milk or cheese this week. I think you will be surprised. It’s also great in smoothies!
P.S. I got my info from places like Harvard, USA Today, Huffington Post and Discovery Health… nothing hippie dippie there folks 😉